Thursday, September 20, 2012

Recipe of the Week!

Some days I tend to "cheat", "backslide", or "indulge" a little more than I should. It's called being human. I've said it before that taking things one day at a time has helped me become more accountable for myself in all areas of my life including eating better and becoming more fit. I've always enjoyed comfort foods, even as a child which is partly the reason or my weight gain in the first place. My number one reason for loving Weight Watchers is because I like to eat (that will never change, food is good LOL) and they allow you to eat! The key to it is what are you eating? And how much of it are you eating? I'm a big sandwich person. I remember the days of going to Coney Island to get a grilled chicken sandwich or pita but with mayo or ranch (too much), lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onion, cheese and sometimes bacon (YIKES), and top of that I had fries and a Coke! Now, I know how to make better choices and still enjoy the foods I love. Here is a nice twist on a "Greek Salad Inspired" Chicken Sandwich. The recipe is from Weight Watchers. I've tried it before and I love it!!



  
1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4 oz pieces
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp dill, fresh, chopped
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
10 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese, about 3 oz
1 Tbsp fat-free skim milk
1 Tbsp uncooked red onion(s), finely chopped
4 item(s) light hamburger roll(s) or bun(s), toasted
2 piece(s) lettuce, romaine, cut in half
1/2 medium fresh tomato(es), cut into 4 slices

Instructions

·         Coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray; preheat to medium-high.

·         Pound chicken until about 1/4-inch thick  place on a large baking sheet. (I use thin sliced chicken breast)

·         In a medium bowl, combine oil, vinegar, dill, oregano, salt, garlic powder and pepper; drizzle over chicken and flip to coat both sides. Let chicken sit for 10 minutes.

·         Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cheese, milk and onion; mash together with a fork to make a spread.

·         Grill chicken, flipping once, until browned and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.

·         Place chicken on toasted bun bottoms; spread each with 1 heaping tablespoon feta spread. Top each with 1 piece lettuce and 1 slice tomato; cover with bun tops. Yields 1 sandwich per serving. (I also use a RED ONION SLICE for more flavor)



No comments:

Post a Comment